What Your Lender Needs to Understand About DRE Requirements

The construction loan is recorded and construction is well underway. The DRE process is clicking along, and you just found out you need to negotiate with the Lender… Again.

In an effort to fulfill their mission of consumer protection, the Department of Real Estate requires that certain documents be protected against any possibility of a loan foreclosure. In other words, certain documents that must be recorded during the DRE approval process must prevail and survive if a loan were to foreclose on a subdivision property.

Typically, recorded documents have “priority” if they record before loans docs. In other words, the priority of a document is largely dependent upon the order in which it was recorded in any given chain of title.

A construction loan is usually recorded before CCRs or other governing documents or agreements that are approved in a DRE filing, giving it priority over those documents.

The CCRs are the most important governing document. They must have priority over any potential foreclosure. To achieve this priority position, the construction lender must sign a “subordination,” relinquishing its priority over the CCRs.

It is possible to obtain a Public Report without having the Subordination recorded, however recordation of the subordination will then be a condition to closing the first escrow.  This is typically done using certified escrow instructions.

Other documents that must be granted priority over existing loans are Agreements that are needed to ensure future access rights or reciprocal easements with neighboring properties. Some examples follow:

  • Subdivision Maps and Condominium Plans must include “Lender Consent” signatures which effectively subordinate the loan to the Map or Plan;
  • Road Easement Agreements, often used when common area roadways are held by the subdivider and are conveyed in a future phase;
  • Reciprocal Access and Use Agreements over another HOA-owned property;
  • Agreements required by the local agency as a part of the map approval

Including a provision in the proposed Purchase Agreement or Escrow Instruction document that provides for the possibility of having the required Subordination document(s) record prior to the first escrow closing might prove to be a good way to avoid delays in lender negotiations when it comes to obtaining the Final Public Report.

For additional information we welcome you to call our office.

Hi, I'm Scott

I'd love to learn more about your new development or project. Use the link below to request a proposal.


Stay up to date.

Sign up our newsletter for latest article and news.
Community Associations and Inflation

Community Associations and Inflation: Strategies for Resilience and Financial Stability

Inflation is a persistent issue that wreaks havoc on the financial health of community associations. From project delays to regular assessment increases and impact on reserve funds, the effects of inflation can be far-reaching and challenging to manage. Community association boards must be proactive in mitigating the impact of inflation to ensure that they can continue to provide necessary services to their members while also planning for future capital projects.

Read More »
Your Go-To for DRE Public Report Processing

Your Go-To for DRE Public Report Processing

If you are a real estate developer in California, obtaining a public report from the Department of Real Estate (DRE) is a crucial step in your project’s success. The public report discloses important information about the development to prospective buyers, such as an overview of the community, the developer’s financial stability, the project’s legal status, the association’s monthly assessments (if any), and the estimated completion date.

Read More »
Reserve Study Misconceptions: Debunked

Reserve Study Misconceptions: Debunked

As an owner or manager of a homeowner’s association or other planned community, it’s your responsibility to ensure that finances are properly managed. Reserve studies are vital for an association to maintain its financial health, as they are required to take place every three years in accordance with CA Civil Code 5550. However, there are several misconceptions about them. We’re going to divulge some of the most common myths about reserve studies and explain why they are untrue.

Read More »
Schedule a Call
Discuss your project or needs with someone from the California Builder Services team.