When the Department of Real Estate (DRE) processes an application for a public report, the application is anticipated to be in the name of the Subdivider.  “Subdivider,” in this sense, represents the name under which the public report will be issued.

In the matter of the application of

XYZ DEVELOPMENT, INC., a California corporation

Many times, we work with a client to create a Public Report filing and are informed later that the entity in title at the time is not the entity under which they intend to develop or sell lots.  It’s not a problem!

DRE processing can be initiated, and approved to the point where the Final Public Report is ready to be issued ~ the entity name can be changed prior to issuance.  The important point to make here, is that the entity be changed PRIOR to issuance.  Otherwise, because the Public Report is issued to a SUBDIVIDER, the entity name change would invalidate the Public Report!

The DRE approval process for a standard, single-family development (no HOA) takes 2-4 months on average to obtain approval for.  The process for a common interest subdivision (planned development, condominium, etc. – with an HOA) can take 6-9 months.  Regardless of what type of development you are pursuing, the bottom line is this:  the public report will be issued in the name of the applicant, and the applicant must be in title, or provide evidence that title will be acquired prior to any sales closing.

If you are concerned about commencing a DRE filing to get the clock ticking, but your LLC or other entity has not been finalized yet, the filing can be made under the current ownership, and TRANSFERRED to the new entity once the entity is formed and in title.

Under this scenario, there are a couple of extra steps to be taken to transition the filing to the new entity – all applications and approved documents must be edited to insert the new entity name.  However, the important take-away is that the DRE timeline doesn’t need to be stalled because formation of your entity is taking longer than you’d like. Call our office today, if you would like us to initiate work on your file, even though the entity is not yet formed.  One of our Consultants will be happy to walk you through the steps involved in getting your Public Report under this program.

Hi, I'm Scott

I'd love to learn more about your new development or project. Use the link below to request a proposal.


Stay up to date.

Sign up our newsletter for latest article and news.
property What You Need to Know About Subdividing Land Today

Subdividing Land: What You Need to Know

As the world population continues to grow, the demand for land will only increase. By subdividing land into multiple usable lots, the possibility of reaping additional profits is highly likely. This has led many people to ask the question, “How do I subdivide land?”

Read More »
Red Flags that Signal Potential Problems with Your Reserve Fund

Red Flags that Signal Potential Problems with Your Reserve Fund

As a homeowner, board member, developer, or community manager, you bear a significant responsibility of ensuring that your community is always in top-notch condition, well-maintained, and prepared for any unexpected situations. One of your primary duties is managing your community’s reserve fund, which serves as a financial buffer to cover any unforeseen expenses or significant repairs.

Read More »
Making Your HOA more attractive for Insurance Companies

Making Your HOA more attractive for Insurance Companies

There are fewer insurance companies willing to write policies for HOAs due to perceived risk. In the events that have taken place in 2022, such as floods and fires, there is a massive deficit in insurance for HOAs. Community association insurance plays a significant role in budgeting for HOAs. Insurance premiums are a necessary expense that HOAs must include in their budget to ensure that the community is protected.

Read More »
Schedule a Call
Discuss your project or needs with someone from the California Builder Services team.