Planned Unit Developments (PUDs)

Reserve Studies & DRE Public Reports For Planned Developments

Our professional staff members assist owners and developers with reserve fund studies and DRE public reports. Our goal is to ensure long-term success for your planned unit development (PUD). Schedule a call today to learn how we can help you enjoy the benefits of a planned urban development.

Planned Urban Developments & DRE Public Reports

A planned unit development (PUD) includes residential and commercial lots within one subdivision. Within a typical PUD are housing, residential recreation, commercial, and industrial centers. PUDs are popular because they include single-family home units, condos, business parks, and industrial buildings. Other types of common interest developments have restrictions and regulations on which units are allowed.

A planned unit development (PUD) may have varied uses within the housing development. An HOA in a PUD has many differences and unique amenities not found in other communities. Different types of communities include specific property types. But PUDs include single-family homes, condominiums, and townhomes, as well as retail and commercial spaces.

The process of obtaining DRE approval for a PUD takes between 6-9 months to complete. This period is followed by the issuance of a public report by the Department of Real Estate. A public report for a PUD includes disclosures about the property that must be provided to all buyers. We offer public report services to help you achieve long-term success and increased property values.

Planned Unit Development & Reserve Funds

California Civil Code 1365.5 requires most associations to complete a reserve study every three years. A diligent homeowners’ associations will update their reserve fund account information annually. This allows the study to reflect new component list items and adjusted funding goals. In a planned unit development, HOA dues are used to cover the cost of common amenities.

The amenities in a planned unit development let owners and their families access parks, pools, and stores. Our reserve fund study services help PUDs build a lasting community that is enjoyed all within the PUD.

Our reserve analysts give every property owner in PUDs  the information they need to make sound decisions. This  includes landscaping, stores, grocery & drug store facilities, supermarket grocery stores, and privately owned roads.

Common Questions About Planned Unit Developments

Planned developments blend an area’s natural landscape, wetlands, and nature preserves with real estate developments. Often, planned developments are made up of single-family homes, local shops, restaurants, business centers, and parks. Those living within a PUD adhere to the rules provided by the HOA that governs the planned urban development. PUDs are governed by homeowners associations and operate similarly at the administrative level.
In a PUD, property owners and the city make decisions about common areas and more. Other common interest developments must comply with standard zoning requirements. A PUD’s homeowners’ association pays for common amenities like swimming pools and playgrounds with HOA dues. In a PUD, each residential unit owner has ownership of their home, lot, and common area components. In an HOA, the association owns the land while the homes or condos are owned by the homeowners. In a PUD, both the home and land are owned by the homeowner, in addition to the common area. In a PUD, landowners must adhere to PUD’s rules regarding land use. A PUD is governed by an HOA and has a similar administrative structure to an HOA community. Residents must pay fees and be subject to the rules of the PUD community.

It’s critical to note the proper definition of a planned development (PUD). Living in a PUD may influence your residential mortgage qualification. Lenders consider a property to be a PUD when:

Individual unit owners own their home (the structure) and their land (the lot).

  • A homeowners’ association (HOA) owns and maintains the common amenities.
  • Membership in the HOA is mandatory for individual unit owners.
  • Homeowners must pay dues and any special assessments levied by the HOA. These dues cover the repairs and maintenance of common amenities.

A PUD often includes condos, but can also include single-family homes and townhome communities.

The biggest downside to living in a planned unit development is the restrictions and regulations on land use. PUD guidelines for the community can include regulations on home exteriors, parking, pet ownership. Also, in a PUD, residents are often much closer to each other than in a traditional neighborhood.
Residents choose to live in a planned unit development because of the convenience and private amenities. These private amenities often include a grocery or drug store, restaurants, and privately owned roads. Other amenities can include 24-hour security, landscaping, and maintenance for home exteriors and yards. In a PUD, there are often many open spaces and parks for community residents to enjoy.

The development of a PUD must follow conditional use procedures. Before a local planning commission can approve a PUD, the following items are needed:

  • The size of the PUD area must be at least two acres
  • A performance bond that ensures the PUD will be created in accordance with the submitted plans.
  • An economic impact statement that shows the PUD is within economic requirements for the local market.
  • An environmental impact study to determine the effect of the PUD on surrounding natural areas.
  • Streets within the residential and urban areas must be designed and constructed in compliance with city standards.
  • Space for playgrounds and parks must either be reserved within the PUD or located off-site  and accessible to residents.
  • Permits and easements must be available for the repair, maintenance, and expansion of public utilities.
  • A guarantee of exactly what maintenance will include for parks and other things considered common amenities.

The process for a planned urban development is divided into three stages:

  1. Pre-Preliminary Conference
  2. Preliminary Approval
  3. Final Approval

In this stage, you provide the city with basic information about the PUD and current physical features of the area. This includes a schematic drawing that shows the private and public uses of the real estate property.

The second stage, you seek preliminary approval from the city planning commission. Developers must submit documents that show maintenance information, residential, and urban areas. Other required details include community parks and playgrounds, ownership, and landscaping for the PUD.

The third stage of planned urban development is when you work to obtain final approval from the city. Within one year of when the initial map and program were approved, the final map and program must be provided. Minor changes and modifications can still be made to the final program. However, major changes are viewed as a completely new PUD application.

Schedule a Call
Discuss your project or needs with someone from the California Builder Services team.